At Mister Sparky we strictly adhere to, and comply with, the local and national electrical codes as dictated by the National Electrical Code (NEC), which is published by the U.S. National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 70).
The NEC is a United States standard for the safe installation of electrical wiring and equipment. While the NEC is not itself a U.S. law, the use of NEC is commonly mandated by state or local law, as well as in many jurisdictions outside of the United States. The NEC codifies the requirements for safe electrical installations into a single, standardized source.
Local jurisdictions and code enforcement boards inspect for compliance with the minimum standards, as set forth in code. Mister Sparky's extensively trained and licensed technicians comply with all local and state codes.
Some electric code violation guidelines of interest include:
- You can only install GFCI (ground fault current interrupter) receptacles in bathrooms.
- There must be a receptacle within 3 feet of the outside edge of sink basin.
- No receptacles face-up on countertops.
- Because some receptacles power high-wattage devices like hair dryers, there must be at least one separate 20 amp. branch circuit.
- There should be wall receptacles every 12 feet.
- Receptacles should be on any wall space that is more than 24 inches wide.
- Hallways more than 10 feet in length must have at least one receptacle.
- All countertops receptacles must be GFCI.
- There can be no receptacles more than 20 inches above countertops. (Exceptions are for the physically handicapped and for islands or peninsulas where this is not possible).
- There should be receptacles above all countertops that are 12 inches or wider.
- No face-up receptacles.
- At least one receptacle should be located on islands or peninsulas.
How do you know a company cares about the quality of their work? They stand behind it - that's how. At Mister Sparky - Eastern Shore, the warranties and guarantees are industry leading because of our experienced technicians and the high quality parts we use. Our technicians are friendly, clean, polite, drug-free and experienced--and our techniques are state-of-the-art, guaranteed!